Friday 26 January 2024

It's a puzzle

 


It sometimes puzzles me why we have so many charities in the UK. Avoiding the heart-rending appeals during tv advert breaks has become almost impossible without a lot of channel flicking. There are charities to whom I donate a couple of times a year, but I do not sign up to give money weekly or monthly.


In 2023 168,850 charities were registered in England and Wales. The average amount which people give to charity per month was 27 British pounds, compared with 24 pounds in 2019/20.

Those most likely to give are women, and the most charitable age group were those between 65 and 74. What also puzzles me is why people are so against increased tax in this country. If they are prepared to give all this money to charities, why not give via income tax? Perhaps it is a matter of choice, but it seems to me that extra pennies given by the taxable population would be far more efficient method than randomly selecting a charity. I suppose such a move would mean many charity workers would lose their jobs, but then, when I donate to charity I hate to think of my money going to support some very highly paid Chief Executive of whichever charity, just as I also hate to think of those rich folk who pay almost no tax because they deal through off-shore accounts and the like. And then there are the workers who come here and send the bulk of their income “back home” where it does no one in this country any good at all.

There is a lot that needs sorting out in this country.

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....