Sunday 4 February 2024

How popular is fantasy?

 As an ex-librarian I used to read the Bookseller.

Part of the job, and book selection was always a good part!

But now I find it is hiding behind a subscription wall just like the Guardian, Publishers Weekly and many more. So my attempt to discover the Top 20 books of fiction in 2023 was foiled. It's not desperate, but a trifle annoying. I can get a list from Amazon with no bother at all, but I suspect the titles will be vastly different.

I wanted to check and see how many fantasy books were now making inroads in the historical fiction market. Time travel and time swap novels have grown considerably in the last year or two. I read my first Urban Fantasy series last month, and thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm tempted to add fantasy elements to the story I'm attempting now.

I did this once with Magician's Bride and it didn't have a riotous reception. One reader said she thought it was more suitable for the children's market. Well, maybe that was because there was no sex in it as far as I recall and it appears sex has to be in everything these days. Whole generations seem to be hard wired for sex and it is hard to avoid (should you wish to do so!) on tv and in adverts. 

Not to worry. I shall continue to try and find a  list that I can access and see what I discover about historical fiction plus fantasy.

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....