Wednesday 10 January 2024

"Goodreads is broken."

 Saw this today:

"Goodreads is broken. What began in 2007 as a promising tool for readers, authors, booksellers and publishers has become an unreliable, unmanageable, nearly unnavigable morass of unreliable data and unfettered ill will. Of course, the internet offers no shortage of bad data and ill will, but at its inception Goodreads promised something different: a gathering space where ardent readers could connect with writers and with one another, swapping impressions and sharing recommendations. It’s an idea that’s both obvious (the internet is great at helping like-minded people assemble) and essential (reading is a solitary activity, but there is great joy in talking through a book afterward). In fact, Goodreads is still an essential idea — so much so that it’s worth fighting to fix it...

Source: New York Times (free access)

I have to say I never got to grips with Goodreads. I never understood how to use it to my advantage as an author. But then, I was unaware it was never designed (as the article says) as a tool for authors but only as a place for readers to talk about books read. 

The site still displays the old covers I had for my self-published books because although I have much better covers now, I didn't find a way to change them on Goodreads. Essentially, I gave up trying to do so, thinking I needed a Master's degree in IT. It would be nice if Goodreads morphed into something I could use. Here's hoping!

 

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....