Tuesday 3 January 2023

Editing, anyone?

 I love editing!

It is always possible to improve on grammar, spelling and everything else, for no first draft is ever perfect. The third, fourth and fifth draft can always be improved, too. 

I usually read over the previous day's work and edit it, before I begin the day's writing, but I always find better ways to say something once the plot line is established. If half my attention is on the plot, then I am not fully focussed on the editing. 

But once I have got to the end, the editing is a doddle. The plot line is established and I can relax, go back to the beginning and simply read with full 100% attention. Then it is easy to turn awkward  phrases and clumsy sentences into graceful ones, spot the double spaces and missing punctuation. The more time that elapses, the easier the editing seems to become. 

I am currently "improving" The Craigsmuir Affair, which I published seven years ago. I'm enjoying every sentence. 

No comments:

Mystery v historical romance

 I recently finished  my first attempt at a murder mystery.  I have to say it was far harder than writing historical romances. Perhaps "...