Friday 27 July 2012

Montastruc

The Chateau
On our way back from Bergerac yesterday we stopped so I could take photographs of the rather lovely Chateau de Montastruc near the river Caudeau. Every time we pass the gap in the greenery that signals the narrow side road leading to the chateau, I snatch a glimpse of it. This time I was determined to look more closely.

Built on top of natural limestone, the chateau rears up into the sky, and someone, at sometime, carved chambers out of the limestone at ground level. Click here to view the Chateau's own website. For those proficient in the French language, you can read it in that language, but I have taken pity on those who struggle as I do, and the link takes you to the English language site.

The website is large, and the detailed history of the place reports that parts of the foundation dates from the 5th century.  You might find the birdsong intrusive, but the pictures of the interior are worth a glimpse, and seeing the chateau in snow makes it look magical. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the place was for hire!
The weather is calming down now. After impossible temperatures yesterday, (37 degrees C) the sky has clouded over and we may well get thunderstorms later according to the weather forecast. We'll have lunch and then think about going out for a short ride on our bikes.
It's a pity, but I cannot get Blogger to load a second photograph - and I have so many just waiting to load up!.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The web site from le Chateau de Montastruc is fab, thanks. Hope you're still alive after that heat. Poor you !

Anonymous said...

The castle is really wonderful and really enjoyed your blog. I will accompany you and share your post on Facebook. Visit my blog for you to give a deposition. I hope you enjoy ...
http://3k2.blogspot.com/2012/07/david-guetta-i-can-only-imagine-ft.html

Anonymous said...

The castle is really wonderful and really enjoyed your blog. I will accompany you and share your post on Facebook. Visit my blog for you to give a deposition. I hope you enjoy ...
http://3k2.blogspot.com/2012/07/david-guetta-i-can-only-imagine-ft.html

More flames on the fire

  Occasionally I check for Book related news and  this morning caught a snippet that sent a shudder through me. It seems Omid Scobie, often ...