Tuesday 16 April 2024

A worrying thought

 


We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice how many remakes there are available. I knew The Killing was being remade for America and now I see other things too. Why is this? Do they think today’s audiences won’t relate to the original? Are there no good tv drama scripts available? 

I wonder how long it will be before they do a remake of Cleopatra or Lawrence of Arabia. On second thoughts, films of that calibre would probably be far too expensive to remake today. I have fond memories of Ryan’s Daughter but the thought of that on a little screen is sobering. It would be diminished somehow.

Another thing I notice is how many tv dramas are centred on women and women’s lives. Sometimes it seems as if men are being written out of life. Police chiefs  always seem to be female on tv dramas. I wonder if "they" think along the lines of seeing it often on tv makes it acceptable and normal. If they accept that argument, then perhaps we have so much violence on the streets because we've seen it "normalized" on tv. It's a worrying thought.

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....