Tuesday 7 November 2023

The Big Unanswered Question

 Novels begin with a big unanswered question, also known as BUG.

Sometimes it is easy to think of one, but right now my mind is absolutely clear.

Not a single BUG in sight. So I'm taking this time as a holiday and enjoying it.

Doesn't stop me thinking about it though. Once you have the BUG, then the novels flows easily enough as the protagonist tries to answer the question or solve the puzzle. Conflicts occur as the author builds toward the climax or the answer to the BUG, and here it is as well to remember that "things happening" is not necessarily conflict. 

I recently read a police procedural in which there were lots of things happening that were, in my view, simply page fillers. Meals described, quiet evenings at home, sorting one's music collection; stuff like that.

In Rebus stories, the music mentioned (and only mentioned) is always relevant to the story going down. 

In the book I've just read, it was an author enjoying showing off his knowledge of music. I soon learned to skip the music bits. The moral of the story is keep the story moving forward. Always.

No comments:

Should we let readers hang?

  I had never heard of the Concluding Preposition Opposition Party but it does exist. I have heard of the American dictionary Merriam-Webste...