Saturday 1 October 2022

My Reading

 

These are the books I’ve read in the past few weeks:


Just like Heaven by Juia Quinn. Amusing in its way but I kept forgetting I was reading something set in Regency England. The conversations, and the language could have been in a contemporary novel.

The fine art of invisible detection by Robert Goddard. I always enjoy RG’s books. The main character of this one is a Japanese lady by the name of Umiko Wada who sets out to discover why her boss was killed. Kept me going back to it until I had the answer. A good read.

Revenge by Tom Bower. Ties together all the bits and pieces I’ve picked up on the internet over the last few years. Lots about Markle’s early years, during which her father paid for everything she wanted. Much less on what happened after the wedding.

The Cove by LJ Ross. Set in a make believe Kynance Cove in Cornwall where I spent many a happy teenage /early 20s holiday. A pleasant read, as ever, but I now have trouble remembering the plot.

Wild Child by Mary Jo Putney. Another historical romance. Doubtful about this at first when learning of a heroine who could not speak and was suspected of being retarded. But it seems she could, and did, and the story was different and interesting.

In the Blood by Steve Robinson A crime committed in 1803 resonates down to the present-day Cornwall and a genealogy hunter risks his life to solve the mystery and save a life. A good read.

All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. AIVAS IS discovered and the Red Star vanquished. An absorbing read. Her world of Pern is so real and I adore the talking dragons.

The Renegades of Pern by ditto. Lots of familiar, well-liked characters in this though the main thread is about Thrella’s leadership of a band of murdering rogues.

Sacrifice by Sharon Bolton. I read this on first publication and thought it great. Today I was less impressed, but of course its that annoying thing “I can’t remember the story line” but as each plot point unfolds, I recognise it and the surprise value was lost for me this time around.

The Decision by Penny Vincenzi. A monster of a book with 800+ pages. I used to read a lot of this genre when I was in my twenties and enjoyed it but by the time the end approached, I knew what was going to happen, for I had read it forty odd years ago!

The Jane Austen Pocket Bible by Holly Ivins. Interesting but a tad repetitive.

The Dolphins of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Entertaining. Lots of characters I recognise.

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....