Friday 21 October 2022

Flicking through other blogs

Mullion Headland

Every now and then I flick through the blogs of other writers and pick up some hints and tips to help me on my way. Today I learned that writing the opening line before you’ve finished the book is a waste of time.

I read on and found a first chapter should:

1. Introduce the Main Character.

2. Make us Want to Spend Time with that Character

3. Create an atmosphere from page 1

4. Hint at the Theme

5. Tell Us Where We Are. Home for geriatrics or Chatham House in 1832.

6. We need some conflict on page 1 but the major inciting incident can wait a little

7. What does Your Protagonist Want; one major goal (the main story arc) and a goal for each chapter. Great if you get both in chapter 1.

8. We need Major Characters with dialogue

As Anne R. Allen suggests at the end of her post, the urge to check my first chapter against this list is strong. My Regency heroine is escaping a mean guardian, runs into trouble and is rescued by a handsome young man all in chapter one. But do I have a theme? What does my heroine want, apart from escaping? I think she’s likeable (but I would, wouldn’t I?) but will readers find her entertaining?

All I can do is carry on to the end and then – only then – redesign the first chapter if I feel the need.


No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...