Saturday 2 May 2020

Ebooks win!

Dragondrums (Pern: Harper Hall series Book 3) by [Anne McCaffrey]A lot of people claim they dislike ebooks.

They swear by a real book. For along time I hovered on the neutral line and told myself I liked both and I didn't really have to choose.

Since lockdown, I have discovered I truly like ebooks! They are there whenever I want them, at a time all the bookshops and libraries are closed and when Amazon is inundated with so many online requests for real books (among other things!) that the postal service in the UK has been logjammed.  A letter from our grandson, aged 5, has taken over a month to arrive from Australia.

I have been re-reading a series I enjoyed long ago, way back in the days when I was young and impressionable. I speak of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern. I still have two of the paperbacks published back then, and boy! is the print tiny. It isn't just my fading eyesight, even though I need a cataract removed which will also have to wait until lockdown is over, but the print really is small! The map of Pern is almost unreadable.

But when I ordered an ecopy of The White Dragon, not only did it arrive on my ipad within seconds - and this was at midnight when I finished one book and still wasn't sleepy - it also had a new cover and nice clear text that I could read without strain. Hurrah! If I wanted I could enlarge the text, and adjust the brightness of the screen. I have since ordered other titles in the series, and will go on doing so.

Ebooks win!

No comments:

A risky business

 Back home after a few days away on the north coast of Aberdeenshire. It was windy and certainly cleared the head of all the winter cobwebs....