Thursday 28 July 2022

No idea how I did it!

 Most people seem to like page numbers.

I am so used to reading e-books that I have become accustomed to them not being there.

Though I think I would miss them in a paperback.

So, once I decided to add them, I read the KDP formatting pages and  somehow got the impression that they (the Amazon wizards) added them as part of the final process. So when I discovered that my newly published paperback  Abduction of the Scots Queen  had no page numbers, I uttered a small swear word and decided I would have to buckle down and do it the hard way. Let me tell you I have struggled for the better part of the day to add page numbers to my book.

It is no easy thing to do. I consulted the KDP pages again, and found no help there.

I looked online but so many explanations of what to do were so dated as to be useless if you had newer software. I checked You Tube videos and came away with a set of instructions, but discovered that Word has a mind of its own in this matter. (Probably in many other areas too, but for the moment I'll stick with entering page numbers on a paperback!)

I tried and failed several times. Then I began again, following what I call the random hit or miss method. What I mean is, I did most of the things on the lists I had, but I did them in random order, keeping a close eye on the results I produced. The moment the longed for numbers came up in the right place on the page, I grabbed it, saved it and uploaded a PDF to KDP before it changed on me.

The trouble is that now I have no idea how I did it! Groan.

On the local farming front - the barley is safely balled. Perhaps circled would be a better term. Or rolled? What do you think?

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...