Thursday 2 June 2022

Eclectic reading

 

What have I read this last year? Here is a partial list in no particular order:

Ian Rankin The Falls 

Jane Harper The Dry, The Survivors, Force of Nature

Diana Gabaldon Go tell the bees...

Anne McCaffrey Dragonfllight, Red Star rising, The Masterharper of Pern, The Girl who heard Dragons (All re-reads)

John Grisham The Accused

Steve Robinson In the blood

Susan Lewis I have something to tell you

Mark Edwards The Retreat

Harry Nichols Tom Fleck

Barbara Erskine The Dream Weavers

Ragnar Jonasson Night Blind, Black Out, Snow Blind

Sharon Bolton The Pact

Maggie O'Farrell Hamnet

Anthony Doerr
Cloud Cuckoo Land

Pete May Entry Island

Stacey Halls The Familiars

Alexandra Walsh The Windchimes

Some I enjoyed more than others. Some I didn’t enjoy at all. Some I never finished, but they are still on my kindle. One day, in a different mood, I may try again and enjoy those few that I rejected this year.

These are the titles I can recall. There were others, but they have slipped by very easily. One of the recent bestselling Regency stories I read in a couple of nights but now I cannot remember much about it at all. Good entertainment but not memorable. I re-read the Lady of Hay recently because at the time of publication I found it excellent. Now I found it overlong, confused and the coincidences of all those people coming together again was just too much. Just goes to show how my reading tastes have altered in the last two or three decades. I doubt anyone’s tastes stay the same throughout life.

No comments:

Should we let readers hang?

  I had never heard of the Concluding Preposition Opposition Party but it does exist. I have heard of the American dictionary Merriam-Webste...