Monday 20 June 2022

Anyone for the Split?

For a reason I can no longer recall, I did not watch the first screening of The Split.

Series 3 ran a few weeks ago, and I watched it and got completely caught up in it. 

To the point that I went to iplayer and watched series 1 and 2 and then came back to series 3.

Up until then I had wondered who Stephen Mangan was. I'd only seen him on Would I lie to You. However, I liked his character and admired his acting. Nicola Walker is always worth watching, and the dialogue was good. Interesting. Intelligent. It would have to be, since the story is about three sisters and their mother and all but one of the four were divorce lawyers. You know, those intelligent, squeaky clean lawyers who earn such fabulous salaries. (The clothes worn by the ladies were wonderfull!)

The writer, Abi Morgan,  has not crossed my path before.

The main story concerns the lives and loves of the female Defoe family, but the internal divorce cases taken on by Hannah, were fascinating in their own right, particularly Goldie and her drunken orgy with her husband's expensive wine cellar. Disruption follows when the absent father, believed dead, turns up again one day and wants his share of the family firm. Further disruption takes shape in the character Christie, who is also a divorce lawyer and often becomes involved in their cases. To my mind, he basically stalks Hannah. She cannot leave her office but he is lounging around within sight hoping for a word from her. I became very annoyed with Christie, but Hannah is severely tempted by him.

In this drama, the conflict comes from the middle sister, Nina, who basically gets drunk and blurts out secrets that should have been confined to the sisterhood of three. As in Last Tango, if those secrets had been kept secret, much of the drama would have been lost. One begins to think that gossip rules the world and these days, of course, gossip is blasted out, whether true or not, via social media. It is a wonder we are all still friends.

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...