Friday 7 January 2022

Welcome to Australia

You probably won't believe me but there is a stonking wind howling around the balcony and it is so unpleasant we are sitting inside. Dh is reading Musk's book about building Tesla cars and me writing  this and then going back to my story. I thought Australia was this pleasant, sunshiny country where tennis players melted on court because the weather was 40 degrees and climbing.

Well, I kid you not. I would not class outside as cold. Not exactly. But it is not pleasant to be out. If you find a sheltered spot out of the wind, the temperature makes you break into a sweat. Beaches must be wind tunnels of stinging sand, and we know from yesterday's walk that the sea is not for swimming as it is too rough. 

The waves may look innocuous from high up
where we are, but down on the beach they are breaking at heights that would be well over my head and the undertow is powerful. Stand still when the waves retreats and you find yourself toppling over with its power dragging you out into what we should never forget is the Pacific Ocean. There are sharks out there, and Southern Right Whales. Life guards say No swimming. Bluebottles inhabit the waters, blown along the coast from northern beaches. Evidently they look more like lobsters than the bluebottle we know, and they sting and if too many sting you at once you are in deep shit.

I remember that old ditty "Welcome to Australia..." Click here

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...