It reads like an adult fairy tale and like the fairy tales I hated in my childhood, it is in part gruesome. Now I don't mind so much. I'm big and grown up and I can handle gruesome. But why is this sort of fantasy suddenly so popular?
The Sunday School I used to attend pre the age of seven gave out copies of Grimm's Fairy Tales as prizes - I can't remember what for. I got one, and when I began reading the short stories they had me in tears so often that my parents took it off me and hid it somewhere. Or threw it out - I don't know what they did with it to be honest.
I wonder why fairies are thought to have this streak of cruelty? Ms Maas's fairies are definitely cruel. I might even say downright sadistic. Maybe it is as simple as a corruption of power. Give someone enough power and they will use it - whether it depends on good or bad depends on the personality of the individual. If you have any good ideas as to why fairies are cruel, let me know!

No comments:
Post a Comment