Saturday 14 May 2022

A la Mrs Strawbridge

 Friday 29th April

on Friday we made our second visit to the restaurant Chez Julien at Paunat,
not far from Tremolat. There is the most imposing abbey church in the valley which was open. I lingered in the doorway, felt the chill air and did not go inside. How did people live, work and pray in such frigid temperatures? 

The village itself is worth at least an hours stroll around but it is hilly so be prepared. Many of the buildings were once attached to the abbey and are gloriously medieval in appearance. The gardens are mostly terraced and there are many curiosities to keep the interest. 

I ate a smoked saumon starter, cabillaud and chorizo as a main course and crème brulee for dessert. All beautifully presented and very tasty.

Streams run right through the centre of the village and this picture shows a rather more complex place than usual to do the washing in the ancient style.  The lavoir is almost Roman in appearance, but then the abbey has a hint of Roman architecture about it, too. I took lots of photographs so more might show up on Facebook in the coming days.

Sunday 1st May (May Day Bank Holiday)

While in the shower this morning I found a small tick attached to me but soon detached it and I am afraid its destiny is life - if it has one - in the septic tank. The tiny critters are everywhere here in the long grass. I may have got it from Perla, or from ripping out the nettles in the lower patio – or even from the bedding which we line dry in the sunshine. I have known them drop from trees and wriggle down inside the collar of a shirt!


One other thing – I have begun wearing a scarf around my head a la Angela Strawbridge, though mine are not quite as crisp and stylish as hers. I wonder if her reason is the same as mine? Every morning when I wake, my hair is standing on end and refuses to lie down no matter how much I wet it. Must be the damp air pf France.

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...