Ten Tips for Adults Writing to be Published:
- Write confidently, subjectively and with your heart; revise critically, objectively and with your head.
- Be in it for the long haul – real writers keep writing.
- Listen to the right people – people who have succeeded or who are in the business. If you want to know about publishing, don’t listen to those who have never been published.
- Aim to be better.
- Respect good writers. Don’t become bitter. Good writers will be your friends.
- Understand your writing, your genre, your aim, your readers. Understand them properly.
- Understand why publishers make their decisions – and mistakes.
- Understand all the rules of writing, so that you can break them with skill and intention.
- Support the book industry – especially bookshops and libraries. They create readers and you need readers.