Monday 17 September 2012

Downton Returns


Elvet Bridge, Durham
There’s a nice warm glow inside me from watching the first episode of Downton Series 3 tonight. It may have dissipated by tomorrow morning, so I thought I write my blog tonight. (It is 11.23pm Sunday in case you are wondering.) All the usual things were present – the settings, the clothes, the banter, each character annoying another in a way that made me salute those folk who are always ready with the smart repartee. I like the way some characters have grown, wonder why others seem to be regressing, but it all adds to the enjoyment. Of course, there are those who denigrate the show on Twitter. Well, there would be, wouldn’t there? Some people just can’t agree with the majority, no matter what. They have to be different for nothing much more than the wish to be well, different.

Something interesting that I haven’t checked out yet is this:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/sep/12/novel-written-live

Someone has begun writing a novel and is doing it online so everyone can read as she writes. The links are there, so tomorrow, when I’m feeling wide awake, I’ll take a peek. Knowing the state of most first drafts, it’ll be a hoot, but no doubt there will be a certain fascination in watching what goes down on the screen. For a while, anyway. No doubt the urge to hit the critique button will threaten, but I shall sit on my hands and resist. I suspect interest will soon wither and die. But who knows? Could this be the novel-writing future? Pay as you view? I’m sure there will be some who will try it, but it won’t be me.

3 comments:

Rosemary Gemmell said...

Husband and I really enjoyed last night's episode of Downton - roll on next week!

Queen of Snark said...

It's bad enough that I have to wait until the end of January to see it, but worse if you start divulging the plot--please, no spoilers for those of us on the other side of the cultural pond!

Jen Black said...

It's good to have something good again on Sunday evenings, Ros. Ha! Finally tempted you into commenting, Maggie!

To my shame...

The Best Books of 2023: Historical Fiction (according to Waterstones.) The Fraud by Zadie Smith Taking inspiration from a real-life ninetee...