Monday 24 October 2011

Critiquing

autumn colours seeping in
I find one thing I don't like about critique groups is that many people in them write first drafts and send them in for critique. Now I think this is maybe expecting too much of your critique partners. Why should they sort out your grammar, correct your spelling, and highlight spacing errors when you can do that yourself? The machine will sort out most of it, if you push the right button and let it get on with it. How hard is that?

Surely the critic comes into his/her own when s/he suggests errors of pacing or that the story line is flagging or in worst cases, simply unbelievable. Or suggests that it would be better if paragraph a) comes  after paragraph d) becuse it is more relevant there. But it's hard to spot where improvements can be made when the page is scattered with basic errors, so really, I think the first drafters are doing themselves a disservice when they send rough drafts in for critique.

Also it's nice to be able to mention good  points, but sometimes its hard to find any in first drafts. They'd be there in a second or third draft, though, I'll bet.

For your delectation, here's a link to a new book trailer I've made. Have a wander around an old fortified farmhouse at Aydon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyui1kfCd_8

No comments:

More flames on the fire

  Occasionally I check for Book related news and  this morning caught a snippet that sent a shudder through me. It seems Omid Scobie, often ...