Thursday 14 August 2008

What next?

I've done a swift 48 hour re-run over FAR AFTER GOLD and sent it back to Quaestor.


Found some mistakes, too, even though I thought it was perfect when I sent it off. As I pushed the button that would send it on it's way, my finger lingered...I had the nasty feeling that if I went through it again I'd find even more things to change. But there comes a time when you have to let go. Gulp.


So now I'm thinking about covers. Will it be plain, or with a picture? A headless female in a beautiful costume, or are they old hat now? I've read many of Gregory's but not this one even thought he cover is gorgeous.

Some of the newer historicals do feature the full figure now, though they may be looking at something other than the reader, as in Chadwick's new book, due in October.



Doing the grocery shop in Tesco yesterday I paused by the books section, and the cover that caught my eye was this one - which I hope to read soon.
It is attractive. But I also noticed that many of the books on display had plain covers. In other words, they had plain colours and symbols rather than people or landscapes photographs. I expect the covers I've illustrated are expensive, and perhaps publishers are cutting back on cover costs.

Some research in a big book store is obviously called for, and I shall not resist. It will be a pleasure! Perhaps more importantly, I should be thinking of promotion. I shall. Tomorrow. Honest. I've put a short announcement on Authors and Books blog today, and notified RNA cyber group. That's a start, but I'm sure there's lots more to do. Meanwhile, I've got critiques on one book to attend to, and a rewrite on a second that's gone on hold for a little while. And my friends wonder what it is I do all day apart from watching tennis in the Olympics! Sheesh!

No comments:

A worrying thought

  We have recently taken on a new satellite box which allows access to things like UKTV play and others. Scanning the offerings, I notice ho...