Tuesday 3 April 2007

Edinburgh trip


We had a wonderful trip to Edinburgh. Only two days, but enough. The first priority was to visit the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith, and the second to see what Mary King's Close was all about.
I'm happy to report we achieved both objectives!

The Britannia was fascinating. Of course, she does not look as immaculate as she did when in service, but I am assured that repainting will take place in the summer and then she'll look as good as she ever did. Th interior is not oppulent as I imagine the Onassiss yacht would be; no marble bath tubs and three inch deep shag pile, but evidence of quiet comfort and one particular family's private life. I can also see why she was de-commissioned, though I was so against it at the time. In a way, walking on board was like walking into a time warp. The 1950's is half a century ago, of course, and certain parts of the ship reveal it - old radio link telephones, lack of computers, and ancient washing machines. But there is still magic there - I still get a lump in my throat when I think of Britannia flying the flag for Britain in all those foreigh corners of the world. She and Concorde, both icons of my life. I'll never forget either.

No comments:

More flames on the fire

  Occasionally I check for Book related news and  this morning caught a snippet that sent a shudder through me. It seems Omid Scobie, often ...